src="http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whiteband_small_right.js">

Sunday, December 12, 2004

The truth is often more frightening than fiction

I have been online since I was 16. There are several reasons I spend so much time here, but most of them are excuses. Recently, I have determined I am addicted. Whenever I'm home, instant messanger is on. If I'm in another room, I turn my speakers up. While at work a few days ago, I checked my email on my phone. Apparently I thought I would never be home again to check it on my computer.

This past year, I signed up for an online dating service. My intention really was never to date someone I met online. If that happened, I think I would be a little apprehensive. Perhaps my intention was just to "have some fun, and try something new". Looking at myself in the third person is a little scary. While in school, I never would consider signing up for such a service. The idea seems awkward and blind. It's incredibly easy to hide behind a keyboard.

That is what I have done for so many years. My comfort level has grown to a point where I could call up anyone in any state, and probably have a place to stay the night. The internet has given me many more friends and contacts I never would have had otherwise. For that, I am thankful.

My only fear about this is my growing comfort level, and the ease of hiding behind the keyboard. I have always been modest in my online dealings, save a few drunken emails. We're all entitled to a couple. But, we are not entitled to over-extending our relationships using the online bridge. Respect, integrity and compassion seem to have fallen out the window. The shadowy face of disdain, manipulation, and ego seem to be the replacement. This is my fear. My hope is it will never effect you and me.

2 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Yeah...but...internet stalkers RULE!!!!!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Wander Lust said...

I know. They do. Just as long as they keep their hands out of their pants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home