src="http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whiteband_small_right.js">

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Bitter grounds.



For those of you who don’t know me too well, I am a timid and introverted person. For those who do know me, this story may surprise you. For those who don’t know me, it’s too bad you don’t. For those who do know me, you’ll realize how difficult this event was for me.

For the past couple months, I have had my eyes on a girl whom I see a couple times a month. I’ve wanted to know more about her every time I see her. She seemed so interesting. Quiet, guarded, a mystery. Today I caught myself off guard. I decided to do something different. So, I asked her out.

Since my experience is; well, lacking, this looked similar to a yard sale on a bad downhill ski run. Skis and poles flying everywhere. Words stacked on top of words. Nearly incoherent sentences.  When I managed to build the courage to ask her if she wanted to grab some coffee, my work was done. Whatever happened next was just icing.

Bitter icing. She doesn’t like coffee. Apparently because it is bitter.

That wasn’t my goal. My goal was to just ask. I didn’t know what to expect, but I’m happy I’m still alive.

I learned that rejection isn’t painful. I’ve learned that a life of not being confident is. I’ve learned it isn’t quite as hard to face your fears. And, I’ve learned that when you do, and fail, it’s just as easy to laugh at you.

I’ll keep asking. Someday I will find someone who likes coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home