src="http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whiteband_small_right.js">

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Bad combinations

It is entirely possible to stab oneself in the forehead with a knife. This thought came to me tonight, as I was walking my dishes to the sink after dinner. The situation would have to be something like the following; you have a handful of dishes in your left hand, while you are holding a glass of water and a knife in the other hand. While walking toward the sink, you decide to take a drink, and completely forget about the knife in the same hand. Well, you forget about it until the glass gets a half inch away from your lips.

I have a bad streak of forgetting the combination to my gym lock. As you know, a combination lock is almost useless without the knowledge of the combination. Because of this, I find myself buying lock after lock.
I think the problem stems from the fact that I immediately throw away that little slip of paper containing the combination. The number seems easy enough to memorize. That little piece of paper, along with the packaging, ends up in the local landfill later that week. Later the next week, I forget the combination, and have to throw away the lock. The lock ends up arriving at the same landfill the very next week.
It is my thought that there is a man living near the landfill that makes it his hobby of collecting the combination papers, as well as the locks. He takes them all home in the back of his Datsun pickup. Every night, before he goes to bed, he feverishly tries to match up one combination with one lock. I'm curious to know how many locks he has managed to liberate.

3 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

FYI: He has liberated more than seven thousands locks....crazy...I know.

I have had the misfortune of misplacing the combo to my bike lock...which is now rusted hella tight after the crappy winter weather. So, I think this means I either invest in some heavy duty equipment to physically rip the lock off the bike, or I walk.

Walking can be fun.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Wander Lust said...

All you really need is a hacksaw. Actually, all you really need is a hacksaw blade. And some strong fingers. My fingers are sore.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Okay...so did you really stab yourself in the head?

That sounds like something I'd do...er...have done. When you start setting yourself on fire, let me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home