src="http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whiteband_small_right.js">

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Congrats, Discovery Channel

I just finished watching a Discovery Channel program entitled "It Takes a Thief". And, in fact, it does.

During the first 20 minutes, I was disapointed in the program. My assumption was that the the network was going to give tips on how to easily break in to a house. Apparently, it is easier than you would think. The fact is, you're not a criminal. Burglars are smart, crafty, and, well, smart.

Such was the person who broke into our house, years ago. We were in Florida. And we never assumed the worst. The worst happened.

I have a distinct memory of standing in our dining room; my dad saying "Scott, go down to your room, and tell me what is missing". Unfortunately, to my eyes, a lot was. My boombox, which I just recieved that Christmas, was gone. As was my entire baseball card collection. I had been collecting those cards for years, religiously categorizing them by team, then year.

Most of my parents' electronics, jewelry, weapons, silver, and otherwise valuables were gone. Thanks to that gutless bastard.

"It Takes a Thief" was perhaps the most 'real' show I've seen in a while. The reactions of the family involved were seemingly honest, although their possessions were never actually taken. Their dreams never stolen. Their history never erased.

To those of you reading this; I have some suggestions.

1. Use your deadbolt. If you don't have one, get one.
2. Lock your windows. Then, put bars across them.
3. Video your entire contents. Lock them in a vault away from your house. In case of a fire, or a burglary, it will come in handy.
4. Inform, and tell the Cops to patrol your address when you are gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home