src="http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whiteband_small_right.js">

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

My feeling is that some of you have mentally created a soundtrack of your life. Something people might play while they flip through a scrapbook of cosmic photos of yourself. Songs that mean something to you, which have affected you in some way that only you could ever understand. Songs that bring tears to your eyes, pump you up, or can't fall asleep without hearing. Songs that remind you of that one person who you let slip away, or which happened to be playing during your first kiss.
I have spent hours, (usually on the road) creating such an album. What follows is an incomplete list of songs and their respective artists, which when played, seem to stop me in my tracks. They are in no particular order. I hope you share some of my taste, or will come up with a list of your own.

“False Echoes” Jimmy Buffett
“Annie Waits” Ben Folds
“The Next Movement” The Roots
“Beautiful Disaster” 311
“Happy Hour Hero” Moe.
“The Woman in You” Ben Harper
“Kashmir” Led Zeppelin
“Almost Cut My Hair” Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
“Martyr” Rusted Root
“Sirens” The String Cheese Incident
“Consequence” Incubus
“Wish You Were Here” Pink Floyd
“Kenny” MMW
“Don’t Look Back” Van Morrison
“Straight to Hell” The Urge
“The Horizon has been Defeated” Jack Johnson
“Forty-Six & 2” Tool
“Down With Disease” Phish
“Cheap Motels” Southern Culture on the Skids
“Bend in the River” Leftover Salmon
“Crawling in the Dark” Hoobastank
“Fake Plastic Trees” Radiohead
“Amy Hit the Atmosphere” Counting Crows
“She Gathers Rain” Collective Soul
“Tequila Sunrise” Eagles
“Ohio” CSNY
Anything of Nick Drake

2 Comments:

At 1:26 AM, Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

Hmm, I think it's my turn to emulate you. I'll try to make my own list. I've thought about songs I'd have played at my funeral, which is rather morbid, but never really a soundtrack of my life. But that's a much better idea.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger akimbo7 said...

i have long believed in the soundtrack of my life, and have been burning them onto CD's since late in high school. They're really fantastic. i'm on volume 8, and i like them particularly because i can go back and see what i was angsty about back then. they're a lot like diaries from when i was younger.
i even made a greatest hits album once, for a school project. you can do bullshit like that when you're a theater major. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home