src="http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whiteband_small_right.js">

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

A grizzly affair

One year, while camping up in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, I ran across a couple bears on Grand Island. Because this wasn’t the first time I found myself upon a black bear, I wasn’t terribly frightened. I was, however, extremely nervous.
When I went to Butler, the school offered a program which took college freshmen on a ten day adventure trip. On this occasion, I was a leader of several kids. Because most of the campers never really camped in bear country, they were a little unacquainted with the techniques used to prevent bear encounters in camp.
One afternoon, after we returned from a hike, we found a couple visitors snooping around the outskirts of our campsite. After taking a quick glance, I realized the bears were yet to enter. Nothing was missing, save the wits of a couple campers. The others immediately brandished their cameras, and immediately transformed into National Geographic photographers.
A few brave ones began an attempt to sneak up on a mother bear, Steve Irwin style. My previous experience with this shot to the front of my memory, and I quickly realized the bear spray was no where in site. My heart was racing. I didn’t want to step in between excited outdoor novices and a memory they could share for a lifetime. I also didn’t want them to be hurt. So, I yelled at them to back off, and take their pictures from a distance. Thankfully, they did.
Looking back, I realize I probably was a little harsh and overprotective. I maybe even overreacted. But, I’ve seen video they may not have, and know first hand how unpredictable nature can be.
Moral of the story: there is none.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Chishiki Lauren said...

I prefer stories with no morals. I don't like morals at all really. They're bullshit when you think about it. One person's life lesson is supposed to strike a chord with the rest of us, teach us something, when in reality, we learn from our own personal experiences and the stupidity of Donald Trump. See, he is good for something other than comic relief. Wait...shit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home