src="http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whiteband_small_right.js">

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Social Discorsion (not the band that began in Cali in 1978)

Why do we do this? Why do we write blogs? Is it an attempt to change public opinion? In my case, it is not. Do we merely want to influence others' perspective of our personality? Perhaps that's something we need to look at. Seemingly, everything we do will have an impact on someone else, and someone else's perception of us. If we merely write to inflate our own egos, we are in the wrong. If our intention is to influence people, or let off steam, or provide information, the cause is justifiable.
Take into account, NPR discussed something similar to this as I drove home from work, so this was the first thing on my mind tonight. I had to get it off of my chest, because it's a topic I have been pondering for a while. It is possible that a more in-depth look into this phenomenon will come later. Don't count on it.

4 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Blogger Jay said...

You know, I'd like to think that I can list a couple of the nobler reasons, but at the end of the day, I'm not informative, or politically correct, or even entertaining, it's probably just self-serving and self-indulgent, and that's okay with me.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Wander Lust said...

Good comment. The more I think about it, I write because it makes me happy. Like you said, I'm fine by that as well. If writing is what I enjoy, then writing is what I will do.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger akimbo7 said...

i had to make a name to comment. poo.
anyway, we started this conversation when you asked me why i was afraid to show my livejournal publicly. the answer is because even though the ability to share is unlimited, when it boils down to it, i write for me and only me. so my most private thoughts, even though written on the internet will remain posted privately to maintain my privacy. i just said private a lot. it doesn't come from fear but from a firm belief that truth, given to the people one cares about, should be revealed slowly and with care to the audience, not at the whim of the receiver. getting to know people comes from a series of revelations that you learn in real time, not all at once because you read someone's journal (online or otherwise). as it says in one of my favorite plays: "That's how you fall in love, one confession at a time."

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Wander Lust said...

Forutunately, for the people who read this, I have attempted to refrain from posting personal feelings and similar characteristics. Oh, wait. I have. But I usually just write what comes off the top of my head, and typically, that isn't much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home